Pranayama Courses with Robert Moses
The aim of these classes is to learn the mechanics of deep breathing and yogic breathing exercises (pranayama) that will help calm the sympathetic nervous system, boost the parasympathetic nervous system, enhance the immune system, and maintain emotional and mental balance in these stressful times. Theory is good but a regular daily practice is more essential. We follow the major kumbhakas (breath retentions) outlined in the HathaYogaPradeepika of Yogi Svatmarama (circa 15th. century CE.) Register below and read the Tips to Prepare. Graphic by Satya Moses. Follow on Instagram @satya.mo and at satyamoses.com
BEGINNERS: Already a good number of people have taken this course. If you would like to begin, or redo the course please email me to learn more. It covers the basics of proper breathing and simple pranayama exercises.
INTERMEDIATE ONE: TUESDAYS 7:30-8:30 AM USA Eastern Time. JUNE 2 – 30, 2020: 5 CLASSES More techniques, kriyas and pranayama with bandhas. For people who have taken the Beginners course or have an established pranayama practice. Basic theory. If you’re unable to donate please email me to enroll. See you online.
INTERMEDIATE TWO: FRIDAYS 7:30-8:30 AM USA Eastern Time. JUNE 5 – JULY 3, 2020: 5 CLASSES Kriyas, advanced and longer pranayama with bandhas including practices not done in earlier courses. For people who have taken the first Intermediate course or have an established pranayama practice. Deeper theory. If you’re unable to donate please email me to enroll. See you online.
Tips to Prepare
- Download Zoom here and create a free account to become familiar with it beforehand. Not essential as Zoom will automatically download when you join your first meeting.
- Arrange a place where you can either sit cross-legged on the floor, or on a straight backed chair in front of your computer for the class. Be comfortable. Use blankets or cushions. We will end with a relaxation so try to have some space to lie down on your back.
- Please don’t eat beforehand. Warm liquids are OK about 30 minutes beforehand. Wash hands well before class as we will be touching our noses.
- If you know neti (cleansing the nasal cavities) please do it before the class. If you do not know neti simply wash your nasal cavities out with warm water to enable you to breathe more freely.
- Watch (and download) this video we made for focusing the mind, warming up the body and boosting the immune system. Please try to do these before the breathing class. Do them daily. To download the video click on the Vimeo logo on the bottom right hand of the pop-up screen and it will take you to Vimeo’s page to download.